a seemingly random journey through cinema's heart of darkness. so to speak.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

YouTubing-to-Obscure-Shameless-Self-Promotion Wednesdays: Brian De Palma is a True Villain

I haven't seen Redacted yet -- hurry up, Cassidy -- but even I apparently know more about it than Bill O'Reilly. As you've surely heard, O'Reilly laid into De Palma and Redacted the other night on the Factor and the clip is really a hoot. Disregard him not even attempting to discover or even guess what De Palma's after when he shows (since redacted) images of real soldiers massacred. I mean, it's O'Reilly. (And by the way, he's not seen it yet. Natch.) What you should pay attention to is his cartoonish demonization of a man who's no stranger to cartoonish demonization. "Here's how vile this man is, this De Palma man is." "I think Brian De Palma, to me, is the worst Hollywood person I have ever come across." "I don't want to see anything bad happen to De Palma." And the line that made water come out my nose, "Brian De Palma is a true villain." 1983 all over again!

(Holly McClure, some conservative broadcast film critic, is also hilarious, declaring the film "anti-for-our-military" and expressing disbelief that a filmmaker could ever -- ever! -- have their film taken away from them by a studio. She wrote a book?)



PW! A Six Pack on movies about the end of mankind in honor of Southland Tales, which I review here along with Finishing the Game. Also, Rep.

0 Comments:

<< Home