a seemingly random journey through cinema's heart of darkness. so to speak.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Apropos of Next to Nada

Because of The Brand Upon the Brain!, I guess, here's Guy Maddin's brilliant Eye Like a Strange Balloon...which is what I thought it was called. Turns out it has a far, far longer title: Odilon Redon or The Eye Like a Strange Balloon Mounts Toward Infinity.

Maddin operating on full cylinders. I love the shot [SPOILER!] of the old man, his eyes just stabbed through, walking through this vast, new wasteland -- one of the most eloquent and haunting images of blindness I've come across.

Of course, my real reason for posting is right here: an Editor's Pick (third down) on an all-night horror line-up from Secret Cinema, featuring a film you -- yes, you, you raging cinephile -- have never heard of; a review of Philip Noyce's moribund Catch a Fire; and, but of course, Rep.

0 Comments:

<< Home