a seemingly random journey through cinema's heart of darkness. so to speak.

Friday, December 29, 2006

YouTubing-To-Obscure-Shameless-Self-Promotion Wednesdays: The Two-Days-Late Edition (Plus My Super-Preliminary Top Ten List!)

My last YTTOSSW of the year, and it's some 48 hours late! Sorry 'bout that, yo. Lazy holidays and shit, ya get me?

Anyway, to start with, here's the requisite clip, this time honoring, in a way, Orson Welles. At least for me, this has been quite a year for Orson-watching: not only did Criterion put out a three-disc (plus their now obligatory inclusion of a book) set of Mr. Arkadin (which I oughta finish one of these days), but I personally got my mitts on his bizarrely unavailable Falstaff-pic Chimes at Midnight, Jess Franco's unwatchable mutilation of his Don Quixote footage, and The Well, Kristien Petri’s obsessive chronicle of his search for Orson-in-Spain arcana.

With that in mind, here's Orson plastered at a shooting for one of his wine commercials. You think he sank to the bottom by shilling for Paul Mason? You ain't seen nothing yet. Similarly, if you found the uncensored Siskel & Ebert spat hard to watch, you won't even make it through this. I know I haven't. (For the real deal, jump here.)

La Weekly!!
Just an interview with We Don't Live Here Anymore/The Painted Veil director John Curran. And I ain't even sending you over to Rep. There's so not nothing there.

Lastly, as promised: THAT LIST!
Again: super-preliminary. But if someone asked me to name the ten right this now, it would possibly resemble this:

01. The Prestige (Christopher Nolan, UK/USA)
02. Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón, UK/USA)
03. Old Joy (Kelly Reichardt, USA)
04. Dave Chappelle's Block Party (Michel Gondry, USA)
05. Gabrielle (Patrice Chéreau, France/Germany/Italy)
06. Jackass Number Two (Jeff Tremaine, USA)
07. United 93 (Paul Greengrass, USA/UK/France)
08. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu, Romania)
09. L'enfant (Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne, Belgium/France)
10. Clean (Olivier Assayas, France/UK/Canada)

As yet unseen: Idiocracy (Judge); Inland Empire (Lynch); Iraq in Fragments (Longley); Letters From Iwo Jima (Eastwood); Notes on a Scandal (Eyre); Pan's Labyrinth (del Toro); probably more I'm currently forgetting.

0 Comments:

<< Home